Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 27

I thought I'd try some poetry for a change; it's not something I do very often, since there are so many others out there much better than I (Meri and Missedtarget, for example), but then I suppose that's the case with fiction and nonfiction, too. ^_^

***

We trudge through sodden fields, and climb the stiles
on old stone walls to startle skittish sheep
who graze upon the other side. The miles
of rolling moors and fissured limestone sleep
beneath the damp and murky mist. It floats
like swirling spindrift, droplets sliding down
our necks, and rocky outcrops loom like boats
emerging from the gloom. Below the town
sits nestled in the valley,
.
.
.
.
.

***

Eh, gotta go sleep, even if that means stopping mid-sentence. The poem's not entirely new, since I started it years ago, but there are a few new lines in there somewhere. The plan was a sonnet, but I haven't exactly managed enough lines yet. I'm finding rhymes are really quite limiting (I mean, "boats?" *shudder*), as is my general lack of skill. Ah well.
;}

2 comments:

  1. rhymes with goats, oats, moats and uh, yeah, I'm out.

    - Roux

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I like this (I love sonnets!) and I wish you would finish it! If you got this far I'm sure you can pull through somehow :) And the boats thing works fine!

    ReplyDelete