Sunday, June 8, 2008

Day 1

All right, here goes nothing! I'm starting to wonder what on earth I've got myself into, but no matter. I'm sure I'll manage somehow. ^_^

***

Carrie had told herself she wouldn't look down, but now that she was twelve feet off the ground this was proving to be a difficult resolution to keep. Every time she wanted to move a foot she had to look down to find one of those plastic holds first. And with her arms beginning to get tired, seeing that the ground was so far away wasn't helping matters one bit.

Why had she agreed to go rock climbing with Alice? Sure, Carrie had read a book about it, as her friend had so helpfully pointed out, but since when did that translate into any sort of skill?

"Come on, Carrie!"

She braved a look—Alice was waving her arms and grinning. Good thing she wasn't belaying. Alice could be rather exuberant at times, and Carrie shuddered to think what would happen if she was in charge of the ropes and got a sudden urge to throw her hands in the air.

"I think I want to come down!" Carrie shifted her weight; her left leg started to jiggle uncontrollably. "Scratch that. I want to come down, now!"

"Aww! But you’re almost there!"

Alice’s pleading wouldn’t sway her, not this time, Carrie told herself. It was her lack of resistance, after all, that had got her here in the first place. She had been stuck in the same spot for several minutes. Her arms hurt, her leg had mutinied, and she had a sneaking suspicion she was developing a blister on her palm. There was no was she was making it any higher.

Back on the ground, she felt a twinge of guilt at the disappointment on Alice’s face. It wasn't her friend's fault that she failed miserably at sports. Carrie undid the knot and handed the rope to her, lips turning upwards in a wry smile. "Your turn. Bet you can't do any better."

Alice smiled in return. "You're on!" She strode up to the wall and leaned back her head, making a great show of surveying possible routes. The effect was pretty funny, like the exaggerated movements of a silent film, and Carrie laughed.

***

Ye gods, this is crap. Not to mention short and going absolutely nowhere. Ah wellthe challenge didn't specify that it had to be good, or long, or complete. *sigh*

Not a great start, but I think I'll get better with practice. Probably. Maybe. Possibly.
;)

2 comments:

  1. This scene seems familiar? And don't worry; it can always be worse. The last thing I wrote was called "Ode to a Silverfish."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it works rather fine as a characterization exercise, I was enjoying it enough to read it all (and I'm notably picky and have zero patience for the writing I don't like.)

    You could probably continue it and make it go somewhere if you wanted. Just picture something you would personally hate to have happen in this situation, and go from there ;)

    - Roux

    ReplyDelete