Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day 22

I found this really interesting site about writing comics. Turns out I've sorta gone about this the wrong way (I haven't bothered with thinking much about characters or creating a plot outline), but I think I knew that already. Comics aren't very different from short stories and novels in that respect—the more planning the better.

Ah well, too late now! I shall carry on regardless, and the result will be a screwy, Frankenstein of a comic. Buahahahaha!

Continued from yesterday. I think when this is over I'm gonna go through and mess around with the pacing some...


***

FLARE: Damn.

PANEL 5: Flare looks down at the wallet, which is the focus of the panel. (Caption is in lower right hand corner.)


CAPTION: "You stole his wallet?"


PAGE 8

PANEL 1: It's the inside of a teenage girl's room. There're several movie posters (old trilogy Star Wars, Matrix) and a computer in the corner. Clothes draped over the computer chair, but the room's more lived in than messy. Flare (now out of "costume" and known by her real name, Zoe) is sitting at the head of her bed. She's freaking out. Facing her is her friend Leela, who's sitting cross legged the foot of the bed. Leela is calm, and mildly amused but trying not to show it. A messenger bag sits next to her. On the bed between them is the wallet.

ZOE: I didn't steal it! He just ran away before I could give it back.

LEELA: He ran away, and now you have it. I think that counts as stealing.

PANEL 2: Zoe falls back onto the pillows, right arm over her eyes. Leela is looking at the wallet curiously. She's poking at it with a finger, as if it's a strange animal she's never seen before.

SFX: Whomph!

ZOE: Ugh. This is a total disaster.

LEELA: You know, he probably thought you were another mugger.

PANEL 3: Zoe's lifted her arm to look at her friend. She's confused. Leela's gesturing with her arms, emphasizing the line, "'never fear, I’m here to save you.'"

ZOE: What? Why?

LEELA: Well, come on, the costume doesn't really say "never fear, I'm here to save you." It's a bit… threatening.

PANEL 4: Zoe sits up, propped up on her elbows. Leela shrugs.

ZOE: And what is Batman, exactly? Cute and cuddly?

LEELA: I was just sayin'.

PANEL 5: They stare at the wallet again, each thinking.

***

Only one page! Ah well, maybe I'll manage more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment