Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ruth Parsons

I made a Steampunk character a while back for an RPG campaign. I thought I'd take her for a spin.

***

The airship floated into Her Majesty's Naval Base Portsmouth at a quarter past two in the afternoon. Ruth Parsons was summoned to the bridge, and she stepped into the controlled chaos with her carpet bag in one hand and her satchel over her shoulder. The Admiral stood with his back to the bridge and his hands clasped behind him. He stared out past the tarnished brass instruments, surveying the docks and the streets beyond. It was raining, a fine drizzle.

"I wanted to thank you, Miss Parsons. You know how difficult a time my wife and I had finding help on previous expeditions."

"Yes, Admiral Robinson," she replied. "I had heard of such difficulties."

The reason for those very difficulties sidled up to Ruth and tried to slip a gecko into her baggage. She grabbed young Mr. Robinson's wrist and gave him a stern look. He stuck his tongue out at her before dashing away with his little captive.

"And yet you applied for the position of nanny, a position that would take you away from your home an family for over a year." He turned towards her, and Ruth ducked her head.

"I wished to see the world, and my mother felt I would be safer on a Navy expedition. She worries about pirates."

"As well she should." His white eyebrows bristled. "So did you find your adventure?"

Ruth smiled at the slight jesting in his tone. "I believe so, Admiral Robinson."

"Well, then. I wish you luck in whatever adventures you find back here in England, Miss Parsons." He stepped away and Ruth breathed in. "Billy! Say goodbye to Miss Parsons."

One dead tarantula on her shoulder and a quickly-stamped-out firecracker later, and Ruth stepped out into the misty rain. She picked her way down the gangplank gingerly, only breathing again when she was finally on solid ground. The damp was beginning to reach her skin, and she sighed.

"Welcome home, I suppose."

No comments:

Post a Comment